Sunday, February 1, 2015

LOVE THE DOGS MORE THAN ME?






 There is a running joke in my home that I take better care of the animals than I do the family...okay, well in truth; that is more of an accurate observation than a joke. It I am just very attentive to the fur kids..they NEED me to be the Akita Whisperer...and I am proud to say, I have succeeded in that role!! I am their voice! :o)

 Tonight....I got called out for it...in a jokingly way, but something I hear on a daily basis  ..


 I put out the food, and put up the baby gate to keep our 2 large dogs out of the viewing room where the goodies are. My amazing husband comes home..and yells, rants, and does his normal "honey, I'm home" adorable and loving bit.(eye-roll)..and immediately puts the dogs outside. I start to argue, but just let it go...they probably need to potty anyway. They live indoors full time.

During the game I yell at everyone to shut the heck up during the commercials and during Katy...I mean really...if the Steelers aren't playing and the two teams that made it in, literally make my stomach turn...it's all about the commercials and Katy Sunday. That is all!  About 2 minutes into the 3rd quarter I realize NO ONE let the dogs back in...I rush to the sliding back door to let the babies in..... and there we have it folks.......
.AN EMPTY BACKYARD.....
 I start screaming, yelling, scared crapless. I grab leashes and collars get in my car...pulled out onto the driveway from the garage; and then my niece, Bird runs out and says "they're next door". I am still furious with my husband for putting them out when I had already had it set up to accommodate his no dogs near my food rule, and myself for forgetting they were outside, worried sick....frantic...put the car in park...go next door...
I am scared how these neighbors I have never met, are going to react to my adult male Akita and 5 month Akita pup in their yard.....You know some people have prejudice against breeds..sad reality.

"Ummm...I think my dogs are in your yard" I say with some shame and humiliation.

"Oh ya...they've been playing with our guy for about 2 hours now, it's fine, they enjoy playing with eachother"
 she states  this with a tone like it's a normal occurrence.  Why was she so calm and acting like it was just another Sunday....oh that's right...because they go over there Regularly-and play....huh???wait, what?????? I try to grasp this, because I NEVER leave the dogs out for more than 20 minutes or so unattended...and we keep filling her holes that she digs at the fence between our houses. Regularly????? 
The boys inspect the fence...and find 3 boards that have been loosened like a "doggy door" at the bottom, and I guess they just go back and forth. Now my light bulb was glowing above my head because when I call for the dogs and they are not right at the back porch...they seem to take a long while to come around the corner of my house....the fence door they somehow have created is just out of my sight....these two are ridiculous.... I am in shock this has been happening, because again...I don't leave them outside long enough...well, they proved me wrong.

 Here is my problem, and my reasons for screaming at the husband and kids...there ARE reasons they are indoor dogs. There are many many reasons I don't let them sit outside unattended for long....one reason...Pain is an escape artist...always has been, even as a pup. He is untrustworthy. Reason two....Boredom creates a problem when you have dogs. They get into things they shouldn't, and have digging issues BOTH of them (Thanks to Savi's new puppy favorite past time, UGH). Third reason...we have a not so reliable fence...and we find compromises in the security of it all the time (due to the dig, the pounce, and the wind). If the fencing isn't secure, I risk the lives of my dogs if they were to get out, I am not okay with that The fourth reason...because I am a RESPONSIBLE pet owner, who would rather my dogs not sit outside for hours and hours with no human interaction. 
 My problem starts when they were put out because he was "annoyed"...and because I didn't put them Outside, I had forgot they were even out there.
 I am now validated when I look in the backyard and there are NO dogs....freaked out, scared, ready to cry...YES...wanting to kill the husband for refusing to UNDERSTAND why I don't like them outside longer than it takes to pee.... and the reason is right here HAPPENING....because I am NOT stupid, or making excuses to keep them IN.

 So...back to the recovery of the dogs. I get back in the house, still so very upset. Shaking with many emotions, and still bewildered that these two are visiting the neighbors on a regular basis. It's almost like when you can't find your child at the supermarket for like 3 seconds....that heart pounding fear..even after they are safe in your arms again,,,just that feeling of...FEAR...stayed with me.

David's brother was here with us today and he pops off with "Jenna, you know you missed a whole quarter of commercials" laughing. (making fun of me for being so serious about everyone respecting the commercial viewing....

I responded naturally with "ya...I know, oh well"

He doesn't even have to think about it (and he is unaware of the "joke" around here)

"so you're pretty much saying the dogs are more important than the "sacred" commercials, "

Well....that led the whole house of kids AND David to confirm what he had observed, and they enjoyed every moment of it. LOL....adding they were more important than they were as well, it wasn't just commercials they outranked ...but EVERYTHING. ...lol, damn...

Yup....that is my life. The BIL was not being mean, it was in fun and joking as he said it...but it was true...and I own it.

 My relationship with my animals.....is a normal one.....to anyone!!!  EXCEPT those who throw their dogs in the backyard, toss out some food , or worse... those who chain their dogs to a tree or post. My husband, unfortunately fell into that category PRE-me :o)   He is a work in progress, and has come a long long way....I love him for it...

They are both sleeping right now at my feet...and the fence has been secured .... until the next time they decide they want to play and find any way they can to do it. My job.... to do everything I can to keep that from happening...even though they seem to LOVE the playdate....it IS not an option!

I will never confirm nor deny the accusations upon me, that I love the dogs more than I do the kids and husband... 
That will forever stay my secret! Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment